FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

1234»»»

Flight Simulation Hardware Profiles Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, February 06, 2009 11:11:26 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
Just wanted to, as SqudranLeader suggested, make a small forum where everybody can brag, discuss, and tell or ask questions about the FSX hardware we all use and love.

To start this out, I have a Saitek X52 HOTAS.  

and I have used it for flying about 2½ years. I love it. It let me map so many settings including FSFS combos, and I can fly fixed wings, helicopters, combat flying (oops not FSFS though) and everything, but as time went by I felt more and more, that I wanted to have a proper flight controller for civil flight - a yoke, pedals and throttles.  

Now I have gotten all those things. A Saitek Pro flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant, 

and Saitek Pro flight Pedals.

I am awaiting Saitek Switch Panel  And then I should be set up for desent flying. I´ll have only myself to blame for bad flyihg.

Flight has taken a whole new side to it, for me. I feel very good when I drive around the ground, and it feels so great to fly around. I feel very much in control of the plane, and have a feeling about the plane, much better than with the X-52, but when it comes to landings, I find it hard. The micro adjustments needed to land the plane softly, is not achievable to me yet. I tend to overreact on the pitch, and baloon over the runway, or bump down.

Its just a matter of getting used to it. And I am getting better day by day, so I feel confident.

What I would really like others to do is this.

1) Take a picture of your setup "in action" or at least set up properly, and post it.
2) Write down the mappings you have on your hardware. What buttons do you have mapped for what? That way we can learn the best settings (I know its an individual thing - but still) from each other
3) Talk about good and bad experiences you have or have had, with your FS9, FSX, FSFS (or course - thats why we are all here ) and your current setup.
4) Sigh, wish, brag, tell, ask about what, why, when, how about...... everything. Let us know. We want it, we need it. We love it!

I

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3339
Posted Saturday, February 07, 2009 2:24:17 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Great job Ole! We all look forward to seeing what other people are doing, and with what.

If we share experiences and tips, we can save each other a lot of time and pass on the best of the best ideas.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #3348
Posted Saturday, February 07, 2009 2:42:38 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:33:12 AM
Hi Ole

We have pretty much the same setup.  Except for my Joystick is a Sidewinder 2.  I fly Condor Soaring, and it really benefits from Force feedback. 

If I could make one suggestion for adding to your setup, it would be - get yourself a Trackir.  It is, without a doubt, the single-most indispensible piece of hardware that I own.  It just brings flight-simming to life.  Perfect for circuit training, etc.  You just don't realise how clumsy panning is until you've been liberated by the Trackir experience.  I use mine with the virtual cockpit, and I do not need to open up a single "extra window", as I can see each and every gauge, dial and control with a little head movement.  I can even stick my head out of the window in my Cessna, and admire the view.  Love it.

All the best, Andy

Post #3354
Posted Saturday, February 07, 2009 3:28:25 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

bilbosmeggins (2/7/2009)
Hi Ole

We have pretty much the same setup. Except for my Joystick is a Sidewinder 2. I fly Condor Soaring, and it really benefits from Force feedback.

If I could make one suggestion for adding to your setup, it would be - get yourself a Trackir. It is, without a doubt, the single-most indispensible piece of hardware that I own. It just brings flight-simming to life. Perfect for circuit training, etc. You just don't realise how clumsy panning is until you've been liberated by the Trackir experience. I use mine with the virtual cockpit, and I do not need to open up a single "extra window", as I can see each and every guage, dial and controlwith a little head movement. I can even stick my head out of the window in my Cessna, and admire the view. Love it.

All the best, Andy

Ah BibloSmeggins - I am way ahead of you. I have a TrackIR 4, and vectorclip and everything. I havent used it much as my previous system could not handle all the exictment from FSX, FSFS and TrackIR all together, but now Im all set with it. And I agree completly. Its one heck of a device. I love when I am on the runway in an old taildragger plane and can lean out the side and see the runway. Coolest thing.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3355
Posted Monday, February 09, 2009 5:11:11 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Guys:

I agree too - love the TrackIR. Gotta watch you get it adjusted correctly or it can make you feel - erm - airsick...  but once you've got it set up - great!

So Ole - I didn't know you were a taildragger man? What do you fly...?

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.

Post #3378
Posted Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:58:45 PM

SquadronLeader (2/9/2009)
Guys:

I agree too - love the TrackIR. Gotta watch you get it adjusted correctly or it can make you feel - erm - airsick... but once you've got it set up - great!

So Ole - I didn't know you were a taildragger man? What do you fly...?

Well SL, there are lots of things you don´t know about me. I like flying around in the J3 cub, the default plane in FSX. I just reinstalled FSX on my new rig, so i havent gotten around to installing all the addon planes I had on the old system, but there I had some cool freeware taildraggers as well. Maybe they´ll find their way back into my hanger... who knows?

And come to think of it, I think I had a DC3 in FS9, but I havent installed FS9 on my new PC (yet) but that was also an awesome plane. A taildragger airliner...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3382
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:12:06 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

I was wondering how many folks out there use something along the lines of the Aura Systems Interactor Cushion or the ButtKicker. I’ve got a bunch of the Aura Cushions which I picked up cheap off eBay. I use them as a pillow to sit upon, with another behind my back and another shoved under the rudder pedals. This makes for some serious tactile feedback, I can tell you. Pushing throttles forward or lowering flaps and gear has never been such a moving experience, especially during a thunderstorm. I feel this is an essential piece of simmer’s equipment and of course delivers great bang for the buck as you can continue to use it when playing your favourite first person shooter.

I wonder how long it’ll be before the recently released toys which use an electric shock when your opponent ’shoots’ you will begin to influence simmers. A USB electronic shocking device? Even flight simmers could use this because its primary role, from what I can see, is to induce fear in the mind of the player/user. I can freely admit that when I was playing a game with my son, which involved getting shocked if you were hit by the opponent, I really did not want to get hit again. So I guess one idea would be to shock the pilot if he/she crashes the aircraft, or perhaps it would have a good deal more use if in a combat flight sim, whereby the pilot it shocked when his aircraft is hit, simulating damage to the pilot.

Having said that, even civil aviation simming could use it when problems occur during flight to simulate stressful situations which induce fear.

I am sure a lot of readers will be wondering what the heck I am suggesting be done to the relaxing hobby of flight simulation? Giving electric shocks to the pilot? Well, I’m really just exploring ways that the experience can be experimented with, after all, we’ve all been on rollercoasters and seen movies which are designed to frighten us...

Post #3384
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:41:12 AM
FSFlyingSchool PPL

FSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPLFSFlyingSchool PPL

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:33:12 AM
Haha

I thought that I was the only person sad enough to own an aura cushion.....  I bought mine a few years ago, for next to nothing at a car boot sale.  Fantastic bit of kit, i used it primarily for my online racing sessions but haven't, as yet, used it for flight simming.  I've just ordered the RealAir Spitfire package, which would be phenomenal with the aura kicking in.  Ooh, you've got me started now

Post #3385
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:59:26 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

"Sad?" Me? "S-A-D?" 

Ho ho ho, my lad...

They are cool aren't they? I played Call of Duty with one for a while and it scared the, erm, sugar out of me! Incoming arty never felt so realistic!

I love the way you can feel the thrust of the throttles and the ker-klunk of the gear. And when you have them under your rudder pedals, it really feels like you are in a rattlin' old Cessna that Grandpa just hauled out of the barn!

Post #3387
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:51:41 AM

SquadronLeader (2/11/2009)
"Sad?" Me? "S-A-D?"

Ho ho ho, my lad...

They are cool aren't they? I played Call of Duty with one for a while and it scared the, erm, sugar out of me! Incoming arty never felt so realistic!

I love the way you can feel the thrust of the throttles and the ker-klunk of the gear. And when you have them under your rudder pedals, it really feels like you are in a rattlin' old Cessna that Grandpa just hauled out of the barn!

Hey there

Now what is this? You are talking about something I dont even know what is! Pics, info, experiences RIGHT NOW An Aura coushin? Some sort of vibration thing?

And you got a bunch of them just lying around SL? Now I would say that it would make a great price, for say reply of the month or something, on the forum.

If it is as great fun as you two seem to state, then I am SO jealous right now, for NOT having one.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #3389
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

1234»»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:50am