Quick 'fix' for loud volume of instructor voices

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Quick 'fix' for loud volume of instructor... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:55:59 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 8:15:37 AM
In my experience the voices of the instructors are ridiculously loud. Even when I max out the volume setting in FSX (SE) itself they still are way too loud in comparison to the engines.

In case anyone is experiencing the same issue the following quick fix works quite well (at least for me).

-Download a freeware program called WaveGain.
-Make a backup of the Sound folder of FSFlyingschool so you can revert to the old situation when something went wrong
-Make sure FSFlying is not running
-Start the WaveGain frontend (the UI)
-In this program select the folder where the FSFlyingschool sounds are in and 'include sub-directories'.
-Then choose 'Album Gain', leave the rest at default.
-Click 'Calculate and apply'

WaveGain will now do its magic which in this case results in a significant lower volume of MrSmith (and the lot).

You can play with 'Extra gain' if you so wish to make out the right gain for you.

It's not a magical solution, but it's simple, almost effortless to accomplish and for me it works quite well. I can hear my engine sounds again without becoming deafened by MrSmith

Sorry for the typo in the topic title. Can't edit that
Post #12983
Posted Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:49:01 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi D1967:

This is most puzzling - looking over the last 10 years, some folks have reported issues with the voice crackling when not set to 'normal' volume in FSFlyingSchool, but not much in the area of all the voices being far too loud.

The program you mentioned sounds like a handy piece of software.

As you can imagine I need to make the following note.

To all readers - please keep in mind that if you alter the files upon which FSFlyingSchool depends for its normal function, you may make it impossible for us to support your installation of FSFlyingSchool. This is particularly important in the case of audio files as they need to be in one of a very small number of specific formats if they are to be expected to work with FSFlyingSchool and some programs which generate audio files do not produce the correct format for FSFlyingSchool.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12986
Posted Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:12:31 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 8:15:37 AM
I can understand your disclaimer. Backing up the files should be enough but worst case scenario is a reinstall of FSFlyingschool which is also quite managable

Regarding the crackling sound. I have that too. I first tried to lower the volume of Mr Smith by setting the Instructor volume to Quiet. But that indeed left me with a very distorted crackling sound. So I am happy that this quick fix does the trick (for me) with no crackling
Post #12987
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:41pm