Couple of Issues (more than likely user error!)

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Couple of Issues (more than likely user... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, October 09, 2016 5:00:51 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:45:43 PM
Hi,

I have recently purchased FS Flying School Pro 2016 (about a month ago) and have been slowly reducing some of the irritating warnings (yes - they were my fault lol) but there are a couple of warnings that I am getting and I can't understand why.

The main ones are when landing:

1) Throttle and brake - I can't understand why I get this as I only have the auto brake on and reverse thrust. I can't turn off auto-brakes too soon otherwise I can't slow down enough and get the slow down to a safe tax speed warning. I was wondering if reverse thrust (not being 0%) may be causing this, however if I don't use reverse thrust then again, I won't slow down quick enough.

2) Wrong flap selected for speed. I have had quite a few issues getting this right and I truly believe that I have the correct settings in FSFS. I mainly use PMDG 737-900 Winglets and have set up the flaps settings and speeds according to the exact settings in the aircraft. I know for a fact that my speed is well below the speeds I have set, but anything over notch 3 (which is 5) tells me I am too fast for the flap settings...yet on my last flight I was doing 175 and the setting is 250.

3) PMDG 777. On this I get constant spoiler warnings, yet my spoilers are not even armed. This happens as soon as I start taxiing and continues right through the flight. Just for fun I have armed/disarmed them but it doesn't make any difference.

4) More of a request.... I have noticed in previous forum posts (many years ago) that there was a 737 pack released. I can't seem to see anywhere to purchase this, so I wondered if it should already be included in the base product? There are no detailed settings for 737 on the Aircraft page, so I am assuming that it is still an optional pack. Can I purchase this?

I am hoping that most of the issues are things I can sort (or edit some file) as most are occurring as a result of third party add-ons (PMDG) and third party devices (such as quadrant) and maybe this is the cause. I would be grateful for any advise on how I can fix these (or learn how I should be doing it )

Thanks

Andrew Perry
Prepar3d v3
AMD FX-9590 | 32Gb RAM | Win 10 64 bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Post #12772
Posted Monday, October 10, 2016 4:36:44 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi Andrew:

Glad to help!

>> 1) Throttle and brake - I can't understand why I get this as I only have the auto brake on and reverse thrust. I can't turn off auto-brakes too soon otherwise I can't slow down enough and get the slow down to a safe tax speed warning. I was wondering if reverse thrust (not being 0%) may be causing this, however if I don't use reverse thrust then again, I won't slow down quick enough.

The program knows that autobrake and reverse thrust are used together and has logic to permit it, so your experience is a puzzle.

Normally the pilot will only hear this if taxiing with significant throttle plus (foot operated) brakes.

What controller are you using to control reverse thrust?

>> 2) Wrong flap selected for speed. I have had quite a few issues getting this right and I truly believe that I have the correct settings in FSFS. I mainly use PMDG 737-900 Winglets and have set up the flaps settings and speeds according to the exact settings in the aircraft. I know for a fact that my speed is well below the speeds I have set, but anything over notch 3 (which is 5) tells me I am too fast for the flap settings...yet on my last flight I was doing 175 and the setting is 250.

Have you set up flap speeds yourself in an FSU file? If so - please tell me what they are (just copy and paste the contents of the file into your reply).

If not - has FSFS estimated them for you? If so please tell me what they are (from the aircraft screen when connected to the plane).

>> 3) PMDG 777. On this I get constant spoiler warnings, yet my spoilers are not even armed. This happens as soon as I start taxiing and continues right through the flight. Just for fun I have armed/disarmed them but it doesn't make any difference.

Some add-ons, especially the more complex add-ons, have data in their files or are sending information to the simulator that is not standard simulator data and this means that the data we get, via FSUIPC is, in a very small number of cases, not what we would expect. Over the years we have done what we can to accommodate several such aircraft, such as those made by A2A, with whose generous help we have been able to make major adjustments so that their planes work smoothly with FSFS.

The issue may be the plane itself, or it may be related to the controller used to control the spoilers. What controller are you using to control the spoilers?

In addition - there is a workaround which you can use if you choose to. Any of the sound files (.wav files) in the product can be renamed if desired and this will mean that they will no longer be heard. This will not affect any other part of the program. If you wish to do this - the file (for MrSmith for example) is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\FSFlyingSchool\Sound\MrSmith\RetractSpoilers.wav

>> 4) More of a request.... I have noticed in previous forum posts (many years ago) that there was a 737 pack released. I can't seem to see anywhere to purchase this, so I wondered if it should already be included in the base product? There are no detailed settings for 737 on the Aircraft page, so I am assuming that it is still an optional pack. Can I purchase this?

We added an 'FSX Boeing 737-800' Detail Pack to FSFlyingSchool for FSX several years ago, but there is no such pack in the P3D product nor available for it.

>> I am hoping that most of the issues are things I can sort (or edit some file) as most are occurring as a result of third party add-ons (PMDG) and third party devices (such as quadrant) and maybe this is the cause. I would be grateful for any advise on how I can fix these (or learn how I should be doing it Smile )

Please let me know about the items I mentioned above and we will move on to getting these things solved.

NOTE TO ALL READERS:
Please remember that if you are not sure that FSFlyingSchool will work the way you want it to with all your planes and controllers, please download and try the FREE demo which you can use for as long as you like before you even consider making a purchase.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12773
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:52:25 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:45:43 PM
Thank you for the reply Jeff!

I am currently using the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Saitek Pro Flight Throttle quadrant. I will keep experimenting with the settings to see if I have something set incorrectly.

For the flaps, I did set my own values and then saved the file. It appears to have saved this as an FSU file which is as follows:

[flaps.0]
flaps-position.1=1
flaps-position.2=2
flaps-position.3=5
flaps-position.4=10
flaps-position.5=15
flaps-position.6=25
flaps-position.7=30
flaps-position.8=40
flaps-position.9=0

[reference speeds]
IASTooFastForFlaps0=250
IASTooFastForFlaps1=250
IASTooFastForFlaps2=250
IASTooFastForFlaps3=210
IASTooFastForFlaps4=200
IASTooFastForFlaps5=190
IASTooFastForFlaps6=175
IASTooFastForFlaps7=162
IASTooFastForFlaps8=0
IASStallCruise=142
IASStallLanding=113
MaxGearExtension=250

[misc settings]
RetractableGear=1
Spoilers=1
FloatPlane=0
FlapsDownDuringTaxi=1

For the 777 - I don't really use either the yoke or quadrant for the spoilers, I usually just use the keyboard. However, maybe there is a default assignment against one of the levers on the quadrant that I am not aware about which may be acting as the spoilers. I don't seem to have this issue on the 737 though, but I suppose it could be specific to the 777.

I will keep doing a little digging to see if I can uncover anything.

By the way, if I edit the sound files to turn off the warning, would this still not affect my overall score? As wouldn't it still report excessive use of spoilers? To be honest, I can't actually remember if that is ever mentioned in the results, so just thought I would check.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Perry
Prepar3d v3
AMD FX-9590 | 32Gb RAM | Win 10 64 bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Post #12774
Posted Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:24:29 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, March 25, 2024 6:29:32 AM
Hi Andrew:

Sorry for the delay - I've been looking for clues!

>> I am currently using the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Saitek Pro Flight Throttle quadrant. I will keep experimenting with the settings to see if I have something set incorrectly.

OK - Please let me know how you get on.

>> For the flaps, I did set my own values and then saved the file. It appears to have saved this as an FSU file which is as follows:

[flaps.0]
flaps-position.1=1
flaps-position.2=2
flaps-position.3=5
flaps-position.4=10
flaps-position.5=15
flaps-position.6=25
flaps-position.7=30
flaps-position.8=40
flaps-position.9=0

[reference speeds]
IASTooFastForFlaps0=250
IASTooFastForFlaps1=250
IASTooFastForFlaps2=250
IASTooFastForFlaps3=210
IASTooFastForFlaps4=200
IASTooFastForFlaps5=190
IASTooFastForFlaps6=175
IASTooFastForFlaps7=162
IASTooFastForFlaps8=0
IASStallCruise=142
IASStallLanding=113
MaxGearExtension=250

[misc settings]
RetractableGear=1
Spoilers=1
FloatPlane=0
FlapsDownDuringTaxi=1

The file looks fine (I've not checked the speeds which I leave to you - but its format looks fine).

Please try some test pilot work - get into FSFS landing mode (not near an airport - that will only complicate things) and slowly try out the flap settings as you slowly slow down. I need to know if any of the behavior makes sense.

For example if you have no warning to retract flaps when you do flaps 1 degree at say 240 KIAS then we know that is working.

If you do get the warning at say 260 KIAS - then we know that is working.

Try doing that all through the flaps as you lower your speed.

WARNING! If you get the warning then retract that flap setting immediately as FSFS will simulate damage to your flaps if you fly with them when too fast! NOTE - this simulated 'damage' may or may not occur on the PMDG. If it does, the flaps are permanently stuck and cannot be retracted until just before you land.

>> For the 777 - I don't really use either the yoke or quadrant for the spoilers, I usually just use the keyboard. However, maybe there is a default assignment against one of the levers on the quadrant that I am not aware about which may be acting as the spoilers. I don't seem to have this issue on the 737 though, but I suppose it could be specific to the 777.
I will keep doing a little digging to see if I can uncover anything.

Excellent! Please let me know about the 777.

>> By the way, if I edit the sound files to turn off the warning, would this still not affect my overall score? As wouldn't it still report excessive use of spoilers? To be honest, I can't actually remember if that is ever mentioned in the results, so just thought I would check.

Your score will not be affected. By contrast, the pilot loses points if spoilers were not armed before landing - which is a different matter.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #12782
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:42pm