Some users had problems uploading some files to forum with some browsers

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««123»»

Some users had problems uploading some files... Expand / Collapse
Author

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:22:17 AM
Just looked into the IE8 upload dialog changes and found the following:

File Upload Control

Historically, the HTML File Upload Control has been the source of a significant number of information disclosure vulnerabilities. To resolve these issues, two changes were made to the behavior of the control.

To block attacks that rely on “stealing” keystrokes to surreptitiously trick the user into typing a local file path into the control, the File Path edit box is now read-only. The user must explicitly select a file for upload using the File Browse dialog.

Additionally, the “Include local directory path when uploading files” URLAction has been set to "Disable" for the Internet Zone. This change prevents leakage of potentially sensitive local file-system information to the Internet. For instance, rather than submitting the full path C:\users\ericlaw\documents\secret\image.png, Internet Explorer 8 will now submit only the filename image.png.

From: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/02/ie8-security-part-v-comprehensive-protection.aspx

-----------------------------

When attempting to upload files are you pressing the "Edit Attachments" button below? I'm wondering if your confusing it with the "Insert Image" button above? This button will allow you to insert an image in your post that is already (uploaded) to a web server on the internet, which is why the dialog starts with "http://" - if so then please try the "Edit Attachments" button. Hope this helps!
Post #4139
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 12:33:07 PM

FSFlyingSchool Training Captain

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 2:42:12 PM
John Paul Jones (5/25/2009)
Just looked into the IE8 upload dialog changes and found the following:

File Upload Control

Historically, the HTML File Upload Control has been the source of a significant number of information disclosure vulnerabilities. To resolve these issues, two changes were made to the behavior of the control.

To block attacks that rely on “stealing” keystrokes to surreptitiously trick the user into typing a local file path into the control, the File Path edit box is now read-only. The user must explicitly select a file for upload using the File Browse dialog.

Additionally, the “Include local directory path when uploading files” URLAction has been set to "Disable" for the Internet Zone. This change prevents leakage of potentially sensitive local file-system information to the Internet. For instance, rather than submitting the full path C:\users\ericlaw\documents\secret\image.png, Internet Explorer 8 will now submit only the filename image.png.

From: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/02/ie8-security-part-v-comprehensive-protection.aspx

-----------------------------

When attempting to upload files are you pressing the "Edit Attachments" button below? I'm wondering if your confusing it with the "Insert Image" button above? This button will allow you to insert an image in your post that is already (uploaded) to a web server on the internet, which is why the dialog starts with "http://" - if so then please try the "Edit Attachments" button. Hope this helps!

Hi John.

I have been looking at the things you wrote above, and changed the securitylevels in the places you mention, but still there is a problem with uploading files. I can upload some pictures but others I cannot. I downgraded to V7 of IE and still same "unexpected error" I have written to Instantforum.net, but not heard anything yet.

Could you try and upload pics just to check and maybe tell what the heck is going on? Else I will wait for the instantforum guys to reply...

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4154
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:37:26 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Testing file upload with IE8...

Post Attachments 
Texflat4.gif (69 views, 14.04 KB)
Post #4314
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:08:38 AM

FSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training CaptainFSFlyingSchool Training Captain

John

Sorry if I have been less than clear. I can upload files, like .txt files. Its the posting of images to be shown in the posts, that causes problems.

Ole

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4320
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:05:13 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Here's a workaround for all users that are having problems uploading images (using IE8):

* Press the "Edit Attachments" button (it's below on the right)
* Using the popup window, select the image you want to upload
* Press the "Upload Attachments" button
* Your image should now appear in the "Current Attachments" section (of the popup window)
* Right click on the uploaded file link (to the left of 0 views) and select "Copy Link Location") from the popup menu
* Close the popup window
* Press the button
* Paste the uploaded image location (by pressing Ctrl and V) into the popup text box
* Press the "OK" button
* Submit your post

Unfortunately, the images will only show up for logged in users, but this is a temp workaround...

Post Attachments 
mnu_insertimg.gif (61 views, 285 bytes)
Post #4369
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:51:31 AM

Testing the above post

Dosent work for me.

I can go as far as to inserting the link by using ctrl-V. But I cannot press an OK button as there is no such button. There is the "add image" button, but when pressing that one the "add image" grayes out for a few seconds and then come back in black. No image is inserted.

But, what I CAN do is take a picture from the web somewhere rightclick it, copy it and paste it right in the post, like your own logo here.

Very strange.

Ole

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post Attachments 
Errormessage in IE8.JPG (1 view, 130.44 KB)

Post #4371
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:15:00 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Test adding images in IE8 using "Edit Attachments" and IFCode tags:

Add using the following IFCode:

Post Attachments 
IFCodeForImageExample.gif (34 views, 2.19 KB)
shaded_cube.gif (34 views, 12.72 KB)

Post #4372
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:18:22 PM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

Cool, that worked!

So the workaround to upload and insert an image in IE8:

* Press the "Edit Attachments" button (it's below on the right)
* Using the popup window, select the image you want to upload
* Press the "Upload Attachments" button
* Your image should now appear in the "Current Attachments" section (of the popup window)
* Right click on the uploaded file link (to the left of 0 views) and select "Copy Shortcut") from the popup menu
* Close the popup window
* Click on the IFCode to the left for [ img ]  [ /img ]
* Paste the uploaded image location (by pressing Ctrl and V) inbetween the IFCode img tag
* Submit your post

Post #4373
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:14:27 PM

Testing new version of workaround.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post Attachments 

Post #4374
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:15:37 PM

- And behold - Succes!

Mighty cool. Thank you John.

Regards
Ole Andreasen, Denmark

Post #4375
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««123»»

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:07pm