FSX - ILS AutoLanding with DC-3 - Is it possible?

FSFlyingSchool Forum
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

FSX - ILS AutoLanding with DC-3 - Is it... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:30:03 AM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:42:12 PM
Hello FS Flying School Crowd,

I am new to this forum and to ILS landing with FSX.

On some of the missions in the cargo crew, I am given the ILS frequency and course.

Does the DC-3 have a runway localizer and automatic glide slope?

Thank you for viewing my newbie question.
Have a Good Day,
Thomas
Post #13206
Posted Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:15:29 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi Thomas:

Thanks for your interest in FSFlyingSchool!

The avionics fitted to the plane will depend on which type and year is being modeled and on who published the plane and whether that modelling includes updates to newer equipment.

The default plane with FSX does not have these features.

Remember also that "autoland" is a feature of modern airliners, whereas a lot of planes may be able to follow the ILS (but not actually * land * ).

I hope this helps.

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13207
Posted Sunday, March 18, 2018 8:00:13 PM
FSFlyingSchool Pilot

FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot FSFlyingSchool Pilot

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, March 18, 2018 7:44:50 PM
Ah yes, if you have the time and patience, you can modify any aircraft's instrument panel -adding or removing instruments or customising.

Look at these instructions
https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?214350-VOR-in-DC3-FSX

It takes a bit of trial and error - but can be done, inc. ILS on a DC3. The ILS was invented before WW2 and is quite old really. The real DC3 could have been fitted with it, but not sure if any were? I was in the process of adding ILS to the default DC3 a while ago - not sure if I finished the job, but I was well on the way to doing it. If you customise a DC3 cockpit you will be reproducing reality because they say no two DC3 cockpits are the same - they were so heavily customised for the different airlines and operators. What is an amazing about the first ILS system was that it was a 100% auto-land feature that was tested and worked well, capable of landing an aircraft in "zero" visibility!

I recommend Gann's book - Fate is the Hunter. He doesn't talk about ILS but it is full of stories of DC3's before WW2.

PS as an aside, I saw a comment recently from someone online complaining about how "obnoxious" and bossy FS Flying School instructors are....they obviously haven't been inside a real cockpit before or been with a flying instructor in his "office" - they aren't there to be your friend. Their job is to try to keep you alive.

USIron
Post #13292
Posted Monday, March 19, 2018 2:52:33 AM

FSFlyingSchool Developer

FSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool DeveloperFSFlyingSchool Developer

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, April 06, 2024 3:28:36 AM
Hi USIron:

Thanks for a very interesting post! Lots there for everyone to dig into.

As for our instructors, yes indeed they are there to teach and get everyone back in one piece.

Some folks out there mention instructors being "harsh", or "repeating corrections", but as we can imagine this tends to happen when the pilot is doing something wrong, and not... correcting it.

Over the 12 years FSFlyingSchool has been published we've heard from 1000s of people of course and the vast majority enjoy the product and get a lot of satisfaction and information from it. This very much includes real world pilots in addition to simulator pilots.

Have a great week of flights!

Jeff Preston ('Squadron Leader') - FSFlyingSchool Publisher & Lead Developer

FSFlyingSchool 2023 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FSFlyingSchool 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11
FS Instant Approach 2023 for X-Plane 12 & 11 (Windows)
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2020 Prepar3D v 5
FSFlyingSchool PRO 2019 FSX, FSX-SE, FS2004
FSFlyingSchool USA for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Approach 2019 for X-Plane 11 (Mac)
FS Instant Approach for Microsoft Flight Simulator
FS Instant Help for FSX, FS2004

Winner of 5 consecutive PC Pilot Magazine 'Classic Product' Awards

Fly like the Pros with X-Plane, Flight Simulator and Prepar3D!

If you wish to unsubscribe simply reply to email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT line.
Post #13293
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:28am